Thursday, January 6, 2011

Life has Chapters

I've always viewed life has having chapters -- not quite distinct but somewhat overlapping.

Vicki and I have enjoyed so much this chapter with young grandchildren, four of them, and their wonderful parents. I'm continually impressed with my children, their character, intelligence and their faith. It's so inspiring to see them as mature adults and doing a wonderful job with their families. I love my son-in-law and my daughter-in-law terribly. We are indeed blessed!

Anyone who knows me knows I'm wild about my grandkids. I always knew I would enjoy being a grandfather, but it's one of those aspects of life one must experience to fully understand. One of my grandson's birthday is today. Jackson is six years old! A wonderful day.

At the same time today I'm sitting in Dad's hospital room awaiting a heart procedure. I will always remember the strong little carpenter father of my childhood. His hands were work hardened and his forearms were large and sort of made look like Popeye. And he was just about that strong. In those days if he fell from a rafter he might grab hold with one hand on the way down to break his fall. He could hoist a 12 inch 16 footer and walk off with it like nothing, humming along as he frequently did. He hummed certain tunes, but only certain phrases of them. A lot of times a great hymn of the church or maybe Glen Campbell's "Wichita Lineman". You would hear the same phrase of the tune over and over again. When he would swing a hammer the tune would be interrupted with a grunt and then the tune would continue. I only worked with him a few times. One of my brother's, Duane, worked with him for many years and no doubt could add his observations, but all of us witnessed his work ethic, his diligence and his integrity. Great gifts.

It's hard to see him older and the body failing. But his mind is good and his faith in his Lord unflinching, and that is a great comfort to us all, his children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, and extended family.

So my dear wife and I are in that chapter of life where we can enjoy our offspring, and at the same time cherish the days the Lord ordains remaining for our aging parents and do our best to watch after them, do what we can to help them through the waning years. I'm not wanting to brutal, just honest. Tomorrow is not guaranteed for any of us, and from this perspective the cycle of life is somewhat evident.

We just celebrated the Christmas holidays and were able to spend time with Vicki's dad and stepmom. Vicki's dad is also in his eighties and has similarly a failing body but a good mind. Thank the Lord for good minds. I think of my friends suffering with parents in latter stages of Alzheimers and am greatful. Lord help us to keep our perspective and to keep our eyes on you, no matter what this chapter holds. I pray health, peace and mercy for our parents and our extended families.

2 comments:

Ami said...

Amen!

Didi said...

Another good one, Babe. This one made me cry though.